Friday, December 15, 2006

Possible future FYS theme

I’m not sure about the other section, but the noon section had a rather in depth conversation in class about potential FYS theme(s). I feel that this derived itself from a feeling of dissatisfaction that came with out experiences from Jamboree. As part of this discussion, I felt enthusiastic about the fact that the “current issues” idea very well may be something future freshmen will enjoy. Granted there will be those students who will want to revolt against “the man” and will thusly revolt against having to take a FYS to begin with. But regardless of this indelible fact, I personally feel that this theme would be generous in adding to our campus’s global awareness. Along with this I feel that it is essential, as students institutionalized in academia, to be aware (and humbled) by serious events and situations across the world. Slowly our campus would become “alive.” I’m not sure if my point is coming across, but, this is how I feel. I hope that, if Nic presents this idea to what ever board, they will consider this idea. I think the general consensus in our class was that things would definitely need to worked out (details). But in the general scope of things, this “theme” wouldn’t be a bad idea, if done appropriately.

No comments: